Friday, September 25, 2009

Teaching with images


Learning a new language inevitably gives you a taste of culture. In my classes I attempt to integrate culture in different ways.
Displaying an object for example. I combined Google Earth to show my students the monument to the Equator located in Ecuador, but first I placed a small wooden replica of it on a desk for students to look at it and discuss what they thought it was - fun and very creative ideas came up!
With audio, the sound of a "charango" or a "quena" may lead us to talk about music instruments in the Andes and/or life in the Andes.
The image in this blog is part of a short powerpoint presentation about the celebration of Carnival in South America and around the world. It is a picture of the well known "Diablada de Oruro" in Boliva. This is presented in context with other images as examples of how Carnival is celebrated around the world. Because the image is beautiful and it allows a variety of activities; I can ask my students to brainstorm on what they see; describe the costumes, research on what is the Diablada, or compare it to other forms of Carnival celebrations around the world.
Images in a language class open broad opportunities to practice any skill.It takes time to look for and find the right one; but once you have it; the time was worth it.

photo

No comments:

Post a Comment